Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hope Under Water...



May 2nd, 2010

There is a part of me that absolutely hates sitting on my couch right now, knowing there are people out there with their safety in such jeopardy. I am definitely the "save the world" type. And I know Uncle Ted really "gets this" about me, so I hope he stays safe today as well. When I watch the news, I see the heartache and fear in people's eyes, and I want so badly to rescue them from that fear. It is a humbling relief to know that God can and will do the rescuing. Still, what am I supposed to do right now? What skills did he give me to use for his glory? Maybe it is just to type what my thoughts are...so I will do that until I get another assignment from Him.



Over that last 24 hours Nashville has experienced its biggest natural disaster in my lifetime. But I learned today that it happened in 1926, too! Now we have the technology and resources to know within minutes if all of our loved ones are safe...I would have been a nervous wreck in 1926!

I am really proud of Tony Trumphour, who last night took his duck hunting boat on a moment's notice to Lavergne, TN and rescued 5 people and 2 dogs...saved their lives...risked his own...was completely protected by God. So then I told Jeremy that we need a boat! And we need to be more like Tony T....

I walked around our condo with Lucy in the rain just checking on the structure...we found a couple of flaws, but all in all, a very safe place even in the worst flood Nashville has seen in a while...good choice on purchase...thank you God for leading us to this place.

All of my family and friends are safe. Even Leslie and Lance who just bought a house and moved yesterday into what turned out to be one of the most dangerous places to be in the flood! They are warm, dry, and happily organizing new closets with lots of help and just praying the waters don't rise anymore. Turns out it was great they planned ahead and had everything packed and ready before this weekend...

Then I watched the news and realized that I drove beneath I-24 at Bell Road 4 times before it went underwater. The last time was coming home from Allison Ashley's house around noon on Saturday May 1st...at 3:30pm...we watched a house/portable (from Lighthouse Christian) literally crumble on live coverage in almost the exact place I was less than 4 hours before...Thank you, Lord, that I came straight home and didn't stop at Starbucks or try to run a couple of errands while I was out...came home so I could tackle errands with Jeremy's company, instead of by myself...Thank you God for such a great husband..who enjoys "Rachel errands" and "Rachel to-do lists".





Also, Big D was scheduled to drive the church bus today...obviously did not watch the news before leaving the house around 7am to run the route. He picked up "Chuck" who actually called after he had left worried about Dad's safety and curious if he would get to go to church today...Mom informed Chuck Big D was on his way... When Big D and Chuck got to church (Madison Church of Christ) parking lot was under water, and about 20 people there wondering about service...Now those are the most committed church of christ 'ers I have ever seen. Or, they, like Big D did not flip on the news before leaving the house. Normally our church services have between 700 and 1000 people there...

Best conversation was with little Brooke Castle, on how her swing set was OK except for the big stump under it, but as for the people with rafts in the creek behind her house..."that is not a vewwy smattt ideeeeaaa!!!"-How is a 3 year-old smarter than a teenager with a blown up float?? She is very advanced for her age...

Regardless of what the next few days bring, there is a song by Casting Crowns called "Praise you in this Storm" that keeps running through my mind...

Dear God, please give us the strength and wisdom to see your face and do your work always, and let the floodgates of heaven pour out so much blessing that we will not have room enough for it....may we see the rain as you see it, and know that you are there, just like you were there 2 days ago in the sunshine...

Please teach me to have these conversations with you in sunshine as often as I do when it rains.....
-Rachel

No comments: