Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Children waiting for us....

This is another story I wrote a long time ago, but when I read it now, it is a little different. I know when you read it, you will judge the biological mother of the child in this story, but at least her daughter had the chance to cry out for her own help. It is a really funny story if you can picture me in another country without my luggage....

I was in Romania on a mission trip my senior year in high school.The purpose of the trip was to raise support for Christian programs giving aid to Romanian orphanages by paying the salaries of Christian women to care for these abandoned babies. 4 mission team members total. We were allowed in the orphanages to see the progress that had been made and with that info, hopefully be able to raise more support back in the states. I was 17 years old and in Romania in December and was the only person whose bags got lost in Atlanta. Imagine a 17yo girl whois approx 6ft. tall who arrived in Romania with her bible, journal, CD player, and snacks. I had even checked my coat! I ended up spending 8 days in Romania without my "stuff". Learning to be low maintenance can be funny. When we entered the orphanage in Arad, Romania, it was day 3 of our trip. We were given a tour and instructed not to cry or we would get kicked off the tour. (Not good for babies to see us breakdown because they are orphans). Among the 50 kids I met that day, I met an 18 month old little girl. She was fiesty and she had the cutest bald head. I wanted to take a picture with her for my mom because I was that bald at 18mos, too. That's when I saw this awful scar on the back of her head. I asked about it and was told that she was born and thrown into a dumpster (which is common there). Dogs are also very common. A mama dog with puppies found her and dragged her around by the head and nursed her for approx 3 days. Someone heard the baby crying in an alley and wrestled her away from the dog and took her to the hospital. She was mostly dead and severely dehydrated and only 3 or 4 days old. The doctors did not understand how she could have cried for someone to hear her. They stitched the terrible wound on her head from the dog and called the orphanage. A few weeks later, no infection, no disease, and a blue-eyed healthy baby girl with stitches was in a Christian orphanage. Shewill always bear the scar, but it will be covered when she gets hair. Because of the scar, her story will stay with her the rest of her life.

I cannot put into words how badly I wanted to take those kids home with me in my backpack! That was 14 years ago, but I see her in my arms like it was last week. It was one of the first miracles I saw in real life. Now I can say that I've seen countless.

We pray for God to do the "unexplainable" so that the world may see Him the way we do.

In the meantime, God is making angels out of even dirty and diseased dogs in Romania.


Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. 

   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly with your God."

No comments: