Monday, July 25, 2011

2008...LEARNING ULTRASOUNDS

I started working at a clinic this month that has predominantly Hispanic patients. I have never been pregnant and don't truly understand what it would be like to be faced with the autonomy to legally end another life. I know there are exceptions and situations that have such extenuating circumstances where no one would fault someone for choosing to abort. But those are rare and a small percentage. I have always been against abortion. If you read this and you have aborted a child, you may find this hard to read. I have listened to those who chose abortion and later regretted it. But in the lonely dark days of an unwanted pregnancy, I have listened to friends and patients be fearful. How will they afford this child? They will never get promoted at work, especially if their child is sick. Most women with supportive spouses or families don't have those fears. Have we made it impossible for a single mother to succeed at being a mother? Is the only option for her opportunity of success to murder her own flesh and blood, and move on like nothing happened? Where are the male counterparts who created these children? There are a host of babies in heaven who did not make it past the womb and God holds them in His arms anyway. But the destruction of the one with the empty womb causes an insurmountable challenge for her to be whole and fulfilled again. If you went down the road to abortion, I apologize. I apologize for not being there to support you. I apologize for anyone who contributed to the helplessness and defeat you felt so strongly that you had no other option you could fathom but abortion. Our society failed you.
My passion about this issue deepened last week when I learned how to do OB ultrasounds. The clinic I work in is mostly self-pay. The physician I work for makes a lot less money than he could, but is committed to serving the underserved. He does OB ultrasounds to break up his day a little and give some light in his perspective of caring for the poor. Earlier than 12 weeks, you can see the heart, all 4 chambers. You can measure the femur and you can see the nose. You can see the spine and the hands. That baby bounces around if you apply a little pressure as if to say, "Really? Didn't you know I am living here right now?"
How can you even consider ending this innocence and confidence fostered and thriving in your abdomen? Unless you are so misinformed and lied to that you don't even know they are really there. I wish I could make every high school student watch a live ultrasound and watch the mother's face when she looks at her child for the first time...the financial stress and fear of welfare or worse seems to fade from her face...and all of the sudden their only question is, "Is it ok?". Because that is the heart of every mother. Why would we discourage that? And why would we deceive them that that baby is anything less than their miracle to experience?
I vote republican. And although they are not perfect in any way and frustrate me on a lot of levels, they stand firm in supporting a baby's right to meet their mother face to face. Democrats do not. They believe in the most vulnerable and emotional time in a woman's life where she is fearful and overwhelmed, we should yell at her to remember her right to choose death. The loudest bark is always heard, but that bark doesn't seem very effective at drying the tears of women who regret the emptying of their womb.
Maybe if we gave them more support, they wouldn't feel so pressured to make such a devastating decision...It is as much on our heads as it is theirs...We voted for it. And let others vote without barking loud enough for what was really right.
5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, 
       before you were born I set you apart; 
       I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Isaiah 1:5

No comments: